Friday, April 18, 2008

Thrifty Use of Kids Old Playhouse


When we moved into our Atlanta home 12 years ago there was a wood playhouse in the backyard. The kids used it for a few years until they just grew out of it. It's been sitting in my yard now for years, unused. It was time for it to go. I enlisted some help from my brother in law and went to work. It took us all day to remove it and were left with a rather large pile of wood when we were all finished. Here is a photo of my backyard. The playhouse use to be located behind the little wooden bridge.
Now we were faced with getting rid of all the pressure treated wood. That's when I got an idea. There is a walkway that goes around the back of my house that the previous owner started, but never finished. That's where I decided to use all the old lumber. It was still in good shape and could really be useful.

Here is a photograph of the walkway being worked on. This use to be railroad ties with pebbles in the foot area. With the help of the "old" wood we were able to complete these stairs. I landed up having to buy $30.00 worth of wood to finish it up but was lucky enough to have a Lowe's $10.00 coupon. I purchased some flowers for my garden which brought my purchase up to 50 bucks and used the coupon. What a bargain!


The wood needs a power washing and then I'll stain it but other than that it turned out to be a great use of wood that I otherwise would have had to get rid of.


I am thrilled with the results and even happier that I could save so much money. I still have some wood left and I'm still thinking of what I can do with it.......more to come.01 02 03
04 05 06
07 08 11 12

No comments:

Post a Comment