Sunday, August 4, 2013






I saw this piece in a thrift store and fell in love with it!  It was so unique, very detailed on the legs, and for only 10 bucks: I had to take it home. It needed a good cleaning and some TLC.  The legs were a bit wobbly, so I put some glue into the recessed holes and clamped them for a couple of hours. It also needed a good cleaning, so I actually used the outdoor hose and washed it, letting it dry out in the sunshine.

I thought about the color and what to do with it.  The decision was to repaint it red and apply a black glaze.

Supplies:
wood glue for repair
clamps to hold it
red Rustoleum spray paint
Black, Valspar paint
sandpaper
rubber gloves
old t-shirts
paint brush


I've sprayed the entire piece using the Rustoleum spray paint.  I used this paint because it adheres so well and is very durable when it dries.  The piece was baked out in the sun for hours to dry.
The Valspar glaze is applied with a brush and then promptly wiped off, as you can see from the photo.


Look at the detail in this piece!  I just love how the black glaze that settles in the nooks and crannies of this piece.

Just beautiful!

Here is the piece all finished.  No need for any clear coat on this one.  It should hold up just fine.



Christy

01 02 03
04 05 06
07 08 11 12

1 comment:

  1. This project turned out great! I love that you gave it a color that is so rich and the shine is perfect! I'd actually probably use this piece as a cozy little writing desk! :D

    ReplyDelete