I've tried to research what time period it may have come from with no success. If anyone can help me out, please comment below and let me know what you think.
I know, I know......if I brought this to The Antiques Roadshow, the Keno brothers would ream me out for stripping this thing, but I really wanted it showcased in my house, in a room and in a spot where I can admire it.
Here is what it looked like when it arrived here:
If you have ever stripped furniture, then you know how time consuming it can be. I worked on this thing for at least a month, putting in about an hour or so a day. It's sort of tedious work, so I limited myself so I didn't get bored with the project.
Below you can actually see the original piece (cabinet door) and a stripped door. What a difference, right?
The process started with a chemical stripper which stayed on for 15-20 minutes until the finish bubbled. I used a scraper to assist with the removal of what appeared to be years of wax, stain and whatever else. I used a toothbrush for the carved parts.
Next, sanding, sanding and more sanding. First with medium sandpaper and then changing over to fine. It was pretty darn smooth when it was finished.
One coat of cherry stain and then on to the polyurethane. Three coats, sanding in between each coat.
I cleaned up all the original brass work as well.
This is how it looks now.
Lots of work, but well worth it in the end.
I'm not sure if this is the best photo of the completed cabinet.....
It really looks much better in person.
01 02 03