Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Thrift Store Makeover


Before and After.........




I purchased the clock to the left in a local thrift store for $2.00. It looked a little worn but the clock worked fine and I loved that it had a little storage area below it, so it got a face lift.



I use Modge Podge a lot to cover areas that need help. It's so versatile and you can get very creative with the type of tissue paper that's available.


I selected a plaid tissue for the roof and a plain tan color for the rest of it. As usual I got carried away, glued small tiles around the face of the clock and hand painted a small vine under it.



Admittedly, the clock was sort of cute to begin with, but it really didn't match my house so the choice became clear: change the look entirely.



















Supplies:

Modge Podge
paint brush (cheap kind at least 1/2 " wide)
Tissue paper, any color of design


Directions:
  • cut 1" x 1" squares of tissue paper. This isn't an exact art so don't worry if the squares are different sizes. Mine are always different in size and sometimes shape.
  • Work in small areas at a time. Apply Modge Podge to the small area and then place your tissue on. Smooth the tissue down with more added Modge Podge. Continue until all your area is covered.
  • After it drys (it only takes a few minutes), I usually apply another coat of Modge Podge.

01 02 03
04 05 06
07 08 11 12

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea, and I love the tissue paper you selected. I have seen similar clocks in exclusive gift shops, and I can assure you they weren't selling for $2.00! lol

    Beautiful job!

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete