Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Creating Silk Flower Arrangements



I enjoy having silk flower arrangements around my house. To have them created in a retails store or purchase them already completed can be very expensive, so I make them up myself. Easy enough to do, I just select a main flower, some greenery and sometimes dried flowers. After a few years they get so dusty and tired looking so I just pluck them out of the container and start over again. There are many tricks to putting these arrangements together but I just do it the easy and cheap way.




I always hot glue a Styrofoam block or cone into the bottom of the container first. For this simple project have the following together:
1. Hot glue gun
2. Styrofoam block or cone
3. moss
4. all your flowers and greenery
5. wire cutters
Next I select my main flowers, cut the to size (I vary it, tall, medium and short) and stick them into the Styrofoam as pictured below.

Then plug in all the green stuff……





With the addition of moss along the bottom you won’t see any of the Styrofoam.
Pictured below is another one I put together for my dining room.


None of these arrangements will cost a lot of money to put together, especially if you have a coupon or buy when the stores put silk flowers on sale. I happened to purchase all of these flowers at Michaels Craft Store. They were having a big sale on their silk flowers so I took advantage. Don’t think you have to have formal training to put these arrangements together……….you don’t. You can do this!!!

www.michaels.com

01 02 03
04 05 06
07 08 11 12

7 comments:

  1. I love the look of the "real" silk flowers available. I have some sunflowers in my kitchen. But, how do you care for them, how do you keep them dusted and looking "fresh"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather:
    You can use "canned air" like the type you clean your computer with. You can also use a lightly damp cloth to clean those sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your arrangements are really pretty, the last one is my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Christy,

    I am just getting back on my feet after a really awful sinus infection that kept me in bed for a week. ACK!

    I have a lot of blog reading to catch up on today. I missed seeing what you have been up to lately!

    I completely agree with you on the subject of silk flower arrangements. They definitely add the final polish to a room.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the great post on putting the good looking arrangements together

    ReplyDelete